Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Attorney I - Concord/San Francisco
GEICO seeks an Insurance Defense Attorney I for its Concord Staff Counsel office. Under general supervision, DEFENDS lawsuits against GEICO insureds and represents GEICO in subrogation, Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM), and PIP lawsuits filed in courts of limited jurisdiction and, in the discretion of the Managing Attorney, in courts of unlimited jurisdiction.
1. RESEARCHES laws and PREPARES legal briefs, opinions, and memoranda.
2. RENDERS opinions on liability, damages, and value as requested by the Claims Department.
3. PREPARES and HANDLES pleadings, motions, and discovery, to include depositions/examinations before trial and examinations under oath.
4. DEFENDS by trial, arbitration, or mediation all matters assigned, as applicable.
5. MEETS the requirements specified below.
· Must be able to travel as required, including but not limited, to attend trials, hearings, depositions, management meetings and conferences
· Must be able to, with or without accommodation, perform the essential functions which include, but are not limited to seeing, hearing, typing, speaking, bending, reaching, lifting and standing for extended amounts of time
· Must be able to access and utilize multiple pieces of office equipment that may require simultaneous use
· Must be able to speak in a clear, empathic and professional manner by telephone and email
· Must be able to document files in a clear, concise, professional written manner, to be understood by customers, clients, co-workers and other employees of the organization
· Must be able to follow complex instructions, resolve conflicts or facilitate conflict resolution, and have strong organization/priority setting and multi-tasking skills
· Must be able to learn and apply large amounts of technical and procedural information
· Must have the following education and experience:
o License in good standing to practice law in applicable jurisdictions
o Minimum of 1 year of personal injury litigation experience or 2 years’ litigation experience
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- 401(k) and profit-sharing plans
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays and leave programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Associate assistance program
- Flexible spending accounts
- Business casual dress
- Fitness and dining facilities (at most locations)
- Associate clubs and sports teams
- Volunteer opportunities
- GEICO Federal Credit Union