Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Gladstone Institutes
The Gladstone Institutes is recruiting a skilled Administrative Assistant to support the Director’s office at the Gladstone Center for Cell Circuitry. The successful candidate will possess excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills, demonstrate exemplary attention to detail and have the ability to efficiently handle multiple priorities within demanding timelines. S/he will review, evaluate and develop routines, procedures and other process tools to achieve maximal effectiveness in supporting the Director and the Institute.
- Prepares, formats, proofreads for accuracy and completeness, edits and disseminates a variety of documents, including complex scientific manuscripts, research grants, correspondence, reports, protocols, policies, procedures, and other related items. Diligently follows all relevant submission/application procedures and guidelines.
- Establish and maintain computerized templates/forms and up-to-date standard sections for grant applications (e.g., Resources and Environment; Biographical Sketch; Other Support).
- Develops calendars, checklists, timelines, to-do lists and other tools to track progress on assignment and tasks. Independently develops and evaluates the effectiveness of office procedures to increase quality, efficiency and throughput.
- Manages Director’s calendar and correspondence, which may include scheduling meetings, reading email and regular mail, drafting correspondence, bringing important issues to his attention, handling sensitive and confidential information, and performing other related activities.
- Proactively plan and coordinate all aspects of seminar and lecture series, special events, visits by guests, domestic and international travel, and other related activities. Prepare detailed itineraries, maintain accurate travel records, process reimbursement requests, and track them as needed.
- Update lab and institute web sites by entering new publications, personnel, and events using Drupal.
- Performs a variety of accounts payable and/or receivable activities, including preparing check requests, preparing purchase orders, monitoring expenses, processing invoices.
- Maintains electronic files, agreements, logs, databases and other related records.
- Performs a variety of routine clerical activities, which may include monitoring and maintaining office inventory, filing, scanning documents, copying, and performing other related activities.
- Facilitates communication with other administrative offices such as Accounting, Grants, Human Resources, Philanthropy, IT, Executive Office and Facilities/Operations Function as external liaison, as appropriate with other universities, research institutes and government agencies.
- Provides support to postdoctoral fellows and graduate students, as directed by supervisor.
- Establishes and maintains Director’s office and necessary filing and retrieval systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of three years of experience performing administrative support activities, including two years of executive support experience, preferably in a fast paced research or academic environment
- Strong sense of urgency and exemplary levels of accuracy, efficiency, flexibility, initiative and resourcefulness
- Ability to effectively multi-task in a fast-paced environment while maintaining attention to detail and avoiding mistakes
- Ability to flexibly adapt to changes in priorities, assignments and other factors that may impact plans and anticipated timelines
- Superior organizational, administrative and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well independently and collaboratively
- Experience with complex calendar management
- Advanced word processing skills using a Mac, proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel, and experienced with other database, graphics and presentation programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including grammar, spelling and editing
- Highly proficient in all aspects of general administrative support (a proofreading test and Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint tests will be given)
- A proactive approach to achieving goals in spite of challenges and obstacles
- Recent experience in formatting and submitting complex research grant applications, scientific manuscripts, and bibliographies
- Previous experience in an academic, medical or healthcare environment
- Experience in maintaining and updating websites
- Previous experience with the following programs: EndNote, PowerPoint, Illustrator, Drupal, Prism
The Gladstone Institutes is an independent, not-for-profit research institution. Its mission is to improve the health and well-being of all people through medical research and education in neuroscience, cardiovascular biology, immunology, and stem cell biology. Home to notable leaders in science and biomedicine, Gladstone comprises four institutes as well as various centers and programs. All of its approximately 500 members are aligned in their mission to carry out or support science that overcomes disease. Located in an award-winning building at the Mission Bay Campus, Gladstone offers a competitive salary and benefits program. It provides an ideal environment for those seeking to maximize and fully leverage their potential. Please consider Gladstone and make a difference in human health.