Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Staff Research Scientist/Genomics Core Director
at Gladstone Institutes
Genomics Core Director
Gladstone is seeking a talented and motivated scientist to direct the Gladstone Genomics Core. The successful candidate will work closely and collaboratively with Gladstone scientists on various research projects employing sequencing-based methods, as well as introducing cutting edge techniques to propel science at Gladstone. As Director of the Genomics Core, the successful candidate will be responsible for supervising core staff members and for ensuring the basic business functions of the core.
- Knowledge and operation of sequencing and related instruments
- Troubleshooting mechanical and software issues related to the core’s instrumentation
- Providing technical advice on experimental methods related to genomic sequencing
- Assisting with data analysis, interpretation, and lifecycle management
- Maintaining a current knowledge of best practices for genomic sequencing and analysis
- Maintaining a current knowledge of modern methodologies such as single cell RNA sequencing, ATACseq, etc.
- Providing training for the use of the core’s instruments and related software
- Supervising and mentoring of core staff members
- Managing the basic business functions of the core as a recharge center (rate setting, advertising, invoicing)
- Extensive practical experience with genomic sequencing-based techniques
- Strong foundation in DNA handling and sequencing methodologies (experience with single cell RNAseq and single sell ATACseq a plus)
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Knowledge of relevant safety protocols
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- A passion for supporting cutting-edge science Genomics Core Equipment
The Genomics Core currently operates Illumina NextSeq and iSeq sequencers, a 10x Chromium system, and a variety of instruments for sample preparations. The Gladstone Genomics Core interfaces directly with the UCSF Center for Advanced Technologies that houses Illumina NovaSeq and HiSeq sequencers.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related discipline
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with genomic sequencing and related techniques
- Previous supervisory/management experience regarded as a major strength
The Gladstone Institutes is an independent, not-for-pro?t research institution. Its mission is to improve the health and well-being of all people through medical research and education in neuroscience, cardiovascular biology, immunology, and stem cell biology. Home to notable leaders in science and biomedicine, Gladstone comprises four institutes as well as various centers and programs. All of its approximately 500 members are aligned in their mission to carry out or support science that overcomes disease. Located in an award-winning building at the Mission Bay Campus, Gladstone offers a competitive salary and bene?ts program. It provides an ideal environment for those seeking to maximize and fully leverage their potential. Consider Gladstone and make a difference in human health.