Hornblower Cruises & Events
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Hornblower Cruises & Events
CA - San Francisco
Do you share Hornblower's passion for providing amazing experiences? If you’re an enthusiastic team player who thrives in an environment where communication, creativity and cooperation are encouraged, this may just be the opportunity for you. As we say at Hornblower, why work when you can cruise?
The Deckhand monitors deck areas onboard the vessel, as well as passengers and vehicles, to ensure safety during ferry operation and/or special events. The Deckhand handles lines and rigging to launch or dock the boat and performs custodial and/or general maintenance tasks as directed. The Deckhand provides a high level of customer service to all riders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for getting underway, mooring, anchoring, handling lines, and bridge operations in all weather conditions
- Perform lookout duties while underway, including watching for other vessels and monitoring the waterway for potential unsafe conditions
- Assist in boarding and disembarking of passengers
- Assist with filling water, connecting and disconnecting shore power as directed.
- Perform cleaning and custodial tasks of the vessels and property, including maintenance and construction tasks as assigned and minor engineering repairs and rounds as directed
- Seek the highest levels of quality and professionalism
- Assist the Captain in ensuring compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal safety and environmental regulations ensuring vessel is in an inspection-ready condition at all times
- Monitor passenger & crewmember safety issues on the boat.
- Ensure that safety equipment is utilized and appropriate guidelines are followed for all tasks involving physical risk or hazardous materials
- Participate in meetings, training, drills and safety audits as required by USCG & company policy
- Develop understanding of all phases of shipboard safety procedures and knowledge of location and use of all firefighting and safety equipment (i.e. fire extinguishers, fire stations, life preservers, work vest, life floats, and rescue boat)
- Handle and dispose of all chemicals and other types of hazardous or caustic materials in compliance with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) (as required)
- Hold yourself and all crew accountable to the Environmental, Safety, Security and Quality Respect and systems of the organization and work to support the HSSQE team to implement such systems, plans and control of records and documentation
- HS Diploma
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC Card), and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid First Aid/CPR Certification, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to effectively interact with the passengers, riders, and fellow crew
- Ability to work in fast-paced, quickly-changing environment
- Previous marine experience or watch standing experience preferred
Pre-employment background check and drug testing required.
Hornblower Cruises & Events has been the leading yacht and public dining cruise company in the United States for more than 38 years. Companies under the Hornblower umbrella include Alcatraz Cruises, Hornblower Classic Cable Cars, Statue Cruises, Niagara Cruises and NYC Ferry, operated by Hornblower.
Hornblower is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Additionally, Hornblower participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Hornblower is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at 415-635-2266.