Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Designer (Part-time/Temp)
KQED - San Francisco
# of openings:
KQED is Northern California’s PBS and NPR public media affiliate. Our mission is to serve our Bay Area communities by providing award-winning news, arts and science content across television, radio and digital platforms. KQED also offers professional development and classroom resources for educators in local and national networks.
The Senior Designer plays an essential role in developing and maintaining the KQED brand visual system, as well as graphic assets created to support KQED’s many programs and services. The ideal candidate will have a desire to grow the creative capacity of our team, while having stake in KQED’s mission in making a difference in the communities we serve.
The Senior Designer reports to the Creative Director, and is a member of the KQED design team in the Marketing & Communications Department.
1. Create print and digital graphics that reflect the high standard of the KQED design team. A wide range of collateral is created including branding collateral, logos, invitations, newsletters, brochures, annual reports, advertising (newspaper, TV, out of home), online banner ads (static, animated), lesson plans, maps, and more.
2. Create graphic elements, including on-air features like animations and interstitials, as well as help conceive and execute station branding elements like lower thirds, promotions, corporate advertising elements, title cards, and more.
Other Job Functions:
Other essential duties as needed and related to the position and visual integrity of KQED.
- Bachelor’s Degree in graphic design.
1. Minimum 3-5 years of related experience as a designer in a graphic design environment
2. Strong design and production skills for both broadcast motion graphics and print.
3. Well versed with pre-press preparations and ability to create flawless mechanicals for print.
4. Experienced with handling on-site press-checks
5. Ability to manage multiple projects from concept to finish within limited timeframes.
6. Must be a team player, capable of receiving direction from Creative Director, as well as collaborating within groups.
7. Hand rendered and vector base illustration skills preferred.
8. Proficiency in the following graphics applications:
• Current Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign; Illustrator; Photoshop; After Effects (familiarity with working 3D environment in After Effects is required)
9. Portfolio and reel must demonstrate the following:
• Strong design aesthetics
• Logo and identity systems. Please include examples showing process and iterations for one logo exploration.
• Animated titles and promos
• Video package elements
• Sensitivity to typography
• Strong layout skills ranging from flyers to multi-paged documents
• Illustration ability
• Cinema 4D or 3D related software
• Creating animated banner ads in HTML5
• Producing e-publications through Adobe InDesign
Let us tell you more about our benefits:
Whether you’re single, married, have children, are in a domestic partnership or anything in between, we have you covered. Employees at KQED enjoy a family friendly workplace offering 20 days of paid time off, 11 paid holidays, paid parental leave, family medical leave benefits, comprehensive health/vision/dental and commuter benefits as well as a 403(b) with employer match. KQED encourages diversity, openness and offers training to support personal and professional development. In addition we are proud to offer Employee Resource Groups, wellness programs as well as free KQED membership.
The mission that drives us:
KQED is for everyone who wants to be more.
Our television, radio, digital media, and educational services change lives for the better and help individuals and communities achieve their full potential.
KQED serves the people of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media.
We provide citizens with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21st century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.
We celebrate diversity, embrace innovation, value lifelong learning and partner with those who share our passion for public services.