Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Software Engineer (Front-End)
at Microsoft Corporation
- Job number
- Job category
- Software Development
- Employment type
- Role type
- Individual Contributor
What is Yammer?
Yammer is THE social network for the workplace - used by millions of employees every day to build community and culture, share knowledge, and connect with their leaders and each other.
Yammer was one of the first startup unicorns this past decade and we were acquired by Microsoft in 2012. A lot of what makes working at Yammer special is the unique blend of being a “startup” within a top-tier tech company.
Working at Yammer has many of the upsides of working at a startup, such as autonomy and the freedom to innovate - without the downsides.
- As a growing product with its own focus, we decide as a team where we want to head and the bets we want to take.
- We get to make our own technology decisions and pick the best of open source and internal technology. We run Linux on Azure, use Macbooks for development, Snowflake for analytics, etc.
- We do a lot with a smaller team, which means people get to wear multiple hats and have outsized impact
At the same time, we also have the benefits of working at a top tech company like Microsoft:
- Compensation and benefits
- Internal resources, technology and opportunities for growth
- Brand and networking
The last few years our focus was directed inward on much needed infrastructure improvements, like moving to the cloud. Despite this, our active user base still doubled in this time period. We’re now able to focus our energies on totally revamping our product and user experience and releasing brand new product capabilities. It’s a great time to join - we are already at scale but there’s so much uncharted territory in front of us.
Why Yammer Web Team?
As part of a passionate and high-performing team of web engineers, you’ll help make the app even more elegant, intuitive, performant, and delightful, as we reimagine and build more compelling capabilities which bring value to our customers.
- We are a small but diverse group ranging from industry veterans to raw new talent, who all love to learn from each other and grow as a team
- We believe that the team comes first; if we build a smart, supportive, motivated team, we will build an outstanding product for our customers.
- Web engineers have a great deal of autonomy, ownership, and ability to influence the product
- We are data-informed, and build/measure/learn at a rapid clip, while maintaining a high bar for quality
- We take pride in maintaining a fun, respectful, and inclusive work culture, with great work-life balance
- Opportunities to innovate, including Hack-days several times a year, with many hacks being shipped
- Design and implement the next generation Web Platform that delivers a reimagined UX experience, drives feature velocity, modularity, component reuse, performance/reliability
- Partner and work collaboratively with people across Product, Design, User Research and Engineering teams to deliver complex, large-scale projects.
- Develop user facing features (consumer grade) by translating graphical design and wireframes to code
- Build and consume reusable code and libraries to enable efficiency
- Optimize code/application for best performance and scalability of our solutions serving global web, mobile and desktop clients.
- Mentor, coach and develop engineers and lead by example
- 5+ years of experience building web applications
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Comfortable with modern tech stacks; we use TypeScript, React/Redux, Jest, and GraphQ
- Passion for building responsive, performant, accessible, and internationalized experiences
- High bar for user experience and engineering quality.
Great to have but not necessary:-
- Experience with React Native
- Full-stack engineering knowledge
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.