Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Software Engineer - Android
at Microsoft Corporation
- Job number
- Job category
- Software Development
- Employment type
- Role type
- Individual Contributor
What is Yammer?
Microsoft Yammer is THE social network for the workplace. Millions of employees including 85% of Fortune 500 companies use Yammer every day, to build community and culture, share knowledge, and connect with their leaders and each other.
Yammer was one of the first startup unicorns this past decade, which was acquired by Microsoft in 2012. A lot of what makes working at Yammer special is the unique blend of being a “startup” within a market-leading tech company.
Working at Yammer has many of the upsides of working at a startup, without the downsides.
- Autonomy and the freedom to innovate
- We make our own technology decisions and pick the best of open source and internal technology
- We do a lot with a small team, which means people get to wear multiple hats and have an outsized impact
At the same time, we also have the benefits of working at a top-tier tech company like Microsoft:
- Compensation, benefits, and perks (especially in the Bay Area!)
- Internal resources, technology, and opportunities for learning and growth
- Brand and networking
- Opportunity for *massive scale* as Yammer sits within the Office 365 suite which has 100M+ users
Over the last few years, our focus was directed inward on much-needed infrastructure improvements. Our user base still doubled during this time period. We’re now focusing on totally revamping our product and user experience and releasing brand new product capabilities. It’s a great time to join! We are already at scale but there’s so much uncharted territory in front of us.
Why Yammer Android Team?
As a social network, Yammer is Mobile-first. The Android team leads the way with an industry-leading 4.8 star rating. But our work is far from done. As part of a passionate and high-performing team of mobile engineers, you’ll help make the app even more elegant, intuitive, performant, and delightful, as we reimagine and build more compelling capabilities which bring value to our customers.
- We are a small but diverse group ranging from industry veterans to raw new talent, who all love to learn from each other and grow as a team
- We believe that the team comes first; if we build a smart, supportive, motivated team, we will build an outstanding product for our customers.
- Mobile engineers have a great deal of autonomy, ownership, and ability to influence the product
- We are data-informed, and build/measure/learn at a rapid clip, while maintaining a high bar for quality
- We take pride in maintaining a fun, respectful, and inclusive work culture, with great work-life balance
- Opportunities to innovate, including Hack-days several times a year, with many hacks being shipped
- Work closely with Product Management, Design, Backend, Analytics, and User Research teams to build new, and improve existing capabilities of the app
- Constantly work to improve the reliability, performance, security, stability, and overall architecture of the app and underlying tech-stack
- Take initiative and own the product from top to bottom - this means anything from owning a specific feature to looking for ways to improve the product as a whole
- Write Unit & UI tests including edge-cases, set up and monitor dashboards and alerting, uncover and fix bugs, crashes, and other issues, in order to ensure a robust app
- Run A/B experiments, gather data, learn and iterate
- Perform code reviews, design and architecture reviews, and participate in team discussions and knowledge-sharing initiatives
- Some technologies used to build the Yammer app include: Kotlin/Java, MVVM/MVI architecture, RxJava, REST and GraphQL APIs, and jUnit and Espresso testing.
- BS in Computer Science or a related field
- 3+ years of experience in software engineering
- 2+ years of experience developing enterprise or large-scale consumer Android apps
- 3+ years of Android experience
- Has designed and delivered Android apps that are performant, reliable and secure
- Drive to explore unprompted and find solutions to problems we haven’t thought of yet
- Experience with the Android Framework, multi-threading and reactive programming
- Product perspectives and a track record of working well with Product Managers and Designers
- Understanding of Material Design and mobile UX/UI design patterns
- Familiarity with testing fundamentals, and experience building test suites
- You stay up to date on industry trends and promote coding best practices and principles
- Familiarity with Agile, rapid app releases, and modern software development lifecycle
- Enthusiastic about partnering and working collaboratively with teams across Microsoft
- Empathy for users and good instincts towards understanding their needs
- Work experience in the social networking space
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.