Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Food Service Worker - Correction
at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
Under supervision, to perform a full range of food service duties, and the ability to effectively interact with inmates and other Food Service staff performing food service duties in the Department of Correction Food Service Unit.
Please Note: The written examination for this recruitment will be tentatively held on 9/28/2020, 9/29/2020, and 9/30/2020.
- Typical Tasks
- Prepares, packages, and portions meals; delivers, distributes, serves, and stores food on an assigned shift or functional area(s);
- Prepares menu items and ingredients for inmates and staff meals, special diets, and catering, as required;
- Performs routine cleaning, including break down of preparation and service areas, tray service ware and cart washing, equipment cleaning, floor and drain maintenance, and other cleaning duties;
- Performs storage, distribution and inventory functions, such as; loading, unloading, moving, organizing, rotating and storing food items, meals, food supplies, and meal carts;
- May drive a truck to deliver food and food related supplies to outlying buildings or other facilities;
- Provide excellent customer service;
- Maintain safety and security as required by departmental policy;
- May be assigned as a Disaster Service Worker, as required;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Employment Standards
Any combination of education, training and experience that demonstrate the ability to perform the above typical tasks and the knowledge and abilities listed below.
Training and Experience Note: The required knowledge and abilities to perform this function are acquired through one (1) year of food service experience.
Preparing food in large quantity is desirable.
Possession of a current nationally recognized food handler certification can be substituted for 6 months of the required experience.
May require the possession of a valid California Driver's License prior to appointment and the ability to qualify for and maintain a County driver authorization.
- Current food preparation and serving practices;
- Safe food handling techniques;
- Proper and safe use of kitchen equipment;
- Kitchen cleaning and sanitation methods;
- Fundamental arithmetic including fractions.
- Assist in food preparation, service and kitchen procedures specific to the operation;
- Maintain and keep secure small and large scale food service tools and equipment in a safe and efficient manner;
- Maintain and keep secure cleaning equipment and agents in a safe and efficient manner;
- Ensure that immediate and surrounding work areas are safe, and free of actual or potential hazards;
- Communicate effectively both orally and in written English;
- Read, understand, interpret, follow and apply written and oral directions, and follow instructions in English;
- Give clear instructions and guide inmate workers in the performance of food service duties;
- Assist in providing job task orientation to co-workers as necessary;
- Demonstrate manual dexterity, and complete work in a timely and efficient manner;
- Be organized and employ cost effective practices;
- Work effectively and independently;
- Remain calm and perform work in demanding situations;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population;
- Exercise discretion and good judgement in the performance of duties;
- Provide excellent customer service;
- Promote teamwork and good will.
- Physical Requirements
Perform a variety of manual tasks, which require an ability to squat, climb, bend, twist, grasp, push/pull, reach overhead, perform frequent and/or repetitive motions, stand, and walk for long periods, work at an expeditious pace, function in various temperature conditions, and lift and carry object up to 50 pounds.