Uber Technologies, inc
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
2019 PhD Data Scientist Internship - Maps
at Uber Technologies, inc
- US-CA-San Francisco
- University - Data Science
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
About the Role
We’re looking for PhD intern candidates to contribute to Maps data science in Summer 2019 (3 months). We seek candidates with strong background in statistics, machine learning, and operations research. You will be embedded in a product team such as Routing, and work closely with the engineers and product managers under the supervision of a data scientist in that team. You’ll be focused on modeling and algorithm development on a project defined by you and your mentor.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You’ll Do
- Work with your mentor closely to scope a project, define the problem, and develop and prototype the solution
- Work alongside engineers and product managers to understand the business use cases and production feasibility of your work, and collaborate on the experimentation and productionisation of your work
- Develop creative solutions to product problems using advanced mathematical algorithms such as machine learning and optimization
- Communicate with senior management and cross-functional teams
- Develop traffic models
- Develop turn costs and objective functions for route recommendation
- Develop machine learning models for travel time estimation
- Develop machine learning models to infer and refine driver and rider locations when GPS signals are weak or inaccurate
What You’ll Need
- Ph.D. student (anticipated graduation in 2020) majoring in Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative disciplines
- Experience in modeling and algorithm development
- Coding proficiency and the ability to develop statistical analysis and prototype algorithms in Python or R. Proficiency in Java is a plus
- Proficiency in SQL
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and business stakeholders
About the Team
Maps provide the backbone of Uber’s service, from the driver and rider experience and display to the route recommendations and travel time predictions from one point to another. These routes and predictions feed into all of Uber’s decision systems, like dispatch, UberPool matching, and pricing. Our turn-by-turn navigation service allows drivers to effectively navigate while on or off trip, while our geosearch engine allows users to search for a destination or pickup point. To power these services, Uber Maps also generates base map data (the road map definition and features) and point of interest data (such as restaurants or hotels). ''
A sister team, Sensing and Perception, provides location estimates for Uber’s users while they are engaging with the app; these location estimates also power the user experience and decision systems. Sensing and Perception also does sensor inference modeling to support a wide variety of products, such as accident or fraud detection. Our teams play a critical role in providing a smooth and comfortable rider and driver experience on Uber’s platform, from the moment they open the app until the moment they arrive at their destinations.
You can learn more about us through: