Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Product Designer, Uber Freight
- US-CA-San Francisco
- Design - Design
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
About the Role
As a product designer on Uber Freight, your number one job is to solve user problems. You will work closely with product managers, engineers, data scientists, and UX researchers to iterate and create a usable, useful and delightful experience that your team can launch. You’ll engage across all stages of a project, using your skills in concepting, prototyping, service design, information design, workshop facilitation, and user research. As a T-shaped designer, you have at least one area you’re expert in, but can handle a broad range of tasks from prepping assets for engineers to leading sprints.
About Uber Freight Design
Product designers on Uber Freight have massive impact on the lives of truck drivers, shippers, warehouse staff, and operations specialists.
We are a rapidly growing team of a dozen designers and researchers with a shared vision of infusing every Uber Freight experience with delight. Each designer and researcher is aligned with a team that serves drivers, shippers, and operations specialists, so we get to own a design from beginning to end. We stand behind a healthy critique culture so we can cross-pollinate ideas, identify journeys, and collaborate on solutions. Each designer has the opportunity to mentor and be mentored, so individual growth is a cornerstone of our culture.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You’ll Do
- Top-notch craftsmanship: Your portfolio has some amazing work. You're a walking encyclopedia of microinteractions in use (on web, desktop, mobile, etc), and have nuanced views on how to make many of them even better
- Record of shipping great experiences: You've weathered release cycles and know what details matter at each stage, how to motivate engineers to get the fit and finish right, how to translate insights from user studies into meaningful action, and what's most likely to go afoul at each stage
- You can share several shining examples of real work you've shipped, and what you learned along the way
- Capability to drive product decisions: You're a product manager's secret weapon. You thrive best when helping to define the requirements, not just translating them into designs. You facilitate and draw the best design ideas from teammates.
- A never ending focus on your users: You don’t hesitate to call dispatchers, hop on a plane to meet with our ops team or do a ridealong with a driver to uncover the truth about what they need. Back at the office, you happily speak on behalf of your users and work hard to help your collaborators understand them.
- Attention to the bottom-line: Analytics don't intimidate you, and you know which features can act as multipliers on your company's business model
- Great skills of planning and prioritization that lets you be more flexible: You have a demonstrated ability to take large complex projects and create a clear timeline of tasks and deliverables in a way that leverages teammates, tests, and iterates
- Cross-platform comfort: Hopefully you've shipped something across several platforms. You know what translates from desktop and what doesn't, or why you'd opt for one solution for iOS and another on Android
What You’ll Need
- 5+ years of product design experience
- Expert at developing and conveying ideas clearly in written and visual format - making business concepts and data visually engaging through use of color, typography, images, infographics, and animation
- Mastery of Sketch, Illustrator, After Effects, and Google Slides
- Attention to detail — every decision matters
- Deadline-driven with the ability to prioritize projects concurrently
- Eagerness to research and be with your users
- Ability to work collaboratively with people from all disciplines and levels
- Ability to improvise and find creative solutions
About Uber Freight
Look around you: everything you see in the built environment was at some point on a truck. The complex interwoven world of freight allows for our modern way of life to exist by putting food in grocery stores, building materials at construction sites, and the clothes you wear on your back.
But the $4 trillion freight industry is plagued with inefficiencies that go back decades. Wasted time, wasted effort, and missed earnings opportunities are the status quo. Enter Uber Freight: we connect shippers with truckers, much like the way that Uber connects riders and drivers.
On the Uber Freight team, we believe that our dedication to transportation technologies will bring more harmonious, highly efficient, and increasingly safer transportation logistics to our roads.
Carrier Experience Team
The Carrier Experience team builds experiences for the millions of drivers and fleet managers to run successful businesses. They use Uber Freight to book loads, manage fleets, execute while on a trip, earn more money and most importantly, get home faster.
Shipper Experience Team
The Shipper Experience team builds products to help shippers everywhere manage their logistics. Our customers are looking to get shipments to their customers in the fastest, most efficient way possible without breaking their budgets. We build tools to quote, manage, track and analyze a shipper’s freight and take the burden out of logistics.
Operations Experience Team
The Operations Experience team is creating a logistics platform that enables our internal operations employees to service loads and customers in the most efficient way possible. We help them do everything about their jobs faster: communicating with drivers and shippers, scheduling appointments, handling missed loads, and tracking driver progress while on trips.
The Marketplace Dynamics team brings balance between supply and demand among carriers and shippers. Our designers and researchers work with complex data and economic problems and then use their craft to clarify and fix the problem. We work across multiple platforms and serve all users across the Freight ecosystem, from carriers to internal operations.