Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr Technical Program Manager - Uber Eats
- US-CA-San Francisco
- Engineering - Technical Program Manager
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
About the Role
Uber Eats is a fast growing and large business within Uber. Define Uber's future by building it with us!
Do you like to order food? We're looking for a TPM for our Eater organization which is all about eaters! We're reshaping how the world eats through movement and we need you to help us build it well and build it at scale. You'll work with engineers, product managers, designers, data science, and other TPMs across mobile, web, and backend to shape the food delivery gig economy.
The Eats TPM team specifically focuses on engineering initiatives across mobile and web for the entire Uber Eats experience. You’ll work closely with engineers, drive some of the most user-facing initiatives for our flagship products, and order boatloads of food delivery along the way (to dogfood the product of course).
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company, thrive in a dynamic work environment, and are able to juggle and prioritize multiple projects with ease. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity. TPM work involves the following:
- Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives. Interface with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
- Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge. This might include publishing a blog post or giving a talk.
- Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
- Continuously improve and scale the organization. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization. Improve product development and delivery. Mentor project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
What You’ll Need
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a Technical Program Manager or engineering manager in a software, SaaS, or mobile development environment.
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you and you with Engineers.
- Experienced in project management. Familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously, without losing sight of highest priority items.
- Strong technical, analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive decisions.
- Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively.
Bonus Points If
- A deep love and passion for food
- Built a mobile app or website.
- Given a tech talk.
- Open-sourced a project.
- Computer Science degree, or related field.
- Worked at a high paced, fast growing, scrappy tech startup.
- Technical program management experience at an established company with a strong TPM team.
- Developer experience, including writing, testing and deploying code.
- Experience with Backend Engineering OR Mobile OR Food Delivery models.
About the Team
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role executing high-impact company-wide initiatives and continuously improving process to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations.