UC San Diego
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Programming Languages Instructor
at UC San Diego
|Title:||Programming Languages Instructor|
|Area of Interest:||Technology|
Programming Languages Instructor
Through an array of programming language courses and programs at UC San Diego Extension, students can gain a thorough grounding in software development syntax and an understanding of the environment in which software developers and programmers work. Instructors work with students who are currently in the field and want to upgrade their skills and knowledge or who are pursuing a new career. Courses are continually updated and tailored to provide students with the background and techniques to become responsible and effective programmers.
We currently offer courses in the following areas, and applicants who would be interested in teaching a programming language not listed here are also encouraged to apply:
- Use subject-matter expertise to impart knowledge to students
- Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in field of practice
- Design syllabus and curriculum as assigned
- Communicate expectations to students
- Prepare and deliver course materials: face-to-face, online, and/or in combination
- Evaluate student learning and assign grades
- Design interactive and motivational activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
- Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
- Respond to student needs and questions
- Create a high-performance environment in which students of diverse backgrounds are motivated to succeed
- Apply technology and leverage resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (e.g. use Blackboard or make arrangements for guest speakers)
- Handle mechanics of position according to deadlines (LOAs, texts, A/V, grade submission, etc.)
- Communicate with Program Manager and Instructor Services Team on a timely basis
- Advanced degree from an accredited institution required; in exceptional cases an equivalent combination of education and work experience may be accepted
- Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area
- Current participation in industry-related professional associations
- Recognized leadership or authority on subject matter
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
- Highly effective interpersonal skills
- University-level teaching experience (or corporate equivalent) preferred
- Experience designing curriculum and measuring student performance preferred
- Proficiency in the use of online teaching tools preferred
Special Conditions of Employment
As an academic department within UC San Diego, all Extension Program instructors and courses must be formally approved according to the regulations of the Academic Senate of the University of California. Eligibility to teach a course is contingent upon this formal academic approval. Once approved, teaching assignments are "by agreement". The instructor's Letter of Agreement outlines the deliverables for the course, the course schedule, and compensation terms, and is subject to department policies and procedures. UC San Diego Extension makes no commitment to hire an instructor until it has sent and received a signed instructor Letter of Agreement. Should the course section an instructor plans to teach be cancelled for any reason, the instructor agreement, including rights to compensation for future section meetings, is voided. Remuneration is for classroom hours only and does not include time spent for course preparation or other events.
Please complete all relevant fields in the application, and optionally include a resume and cover letter to provide further information relating to your professional and teaching backgrounds. Even if you upload a resume, you must answer all of the questions in the application, when applicable. Failure to do so may result in the rejection of your application.
UC San Diego is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a diverse workforce.