UC San Diego
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sally Ride Science Teacher Education
at UC San Diego
|Title:||Sally Ride Science Teacher Education|
|Area of Interest:||Education|
Sally Ride Science Teacher Education Instructor
The UC San Diego Extension Department of Education and Behavioral Sciences (DEBS) offers a variety of programs in teacher education. Each program is designed to bring participants the latest in instruction techniques and to emphasize the personal dimension of working with classroom experiences and a variety of methods of instruction delivers. Skilled and enthusiastic instructors make the program a professionally valuable and personally meaningful learning experience.
The programs are designed to effectively address the most current and relevant issues in Teacher Education. Participants will receive instruction in the fundamentals of Teacher Education that provides outstanding service to the adult student in the programs. Courses feature timely comprehensive topics in an online environment related to helping teachers enhance their classroom teaching skills and abilities.
Currently the UC San Diego Extension Education Department offers teacher education in the following areas:
- Sally Ride Science Teacher Education
- English Learner Authorization (CLAD Through CTEL)
- Reading and Literacy Authorization
- Gifted and Talented Education (GATE)
- Teaching Online
- Teaching Adult Learners
- Professional Development coursework
For more information about these courses, please visit our website at: extension.ucsd.edu/education or Sally Ride Science.
Instructors should have extensive knowledge and skills in teacher education. Specific duties include in-class or online instruction to participants who are currently working in K-12 teaching and administrative positions, or who want to reenter the field. Instructors should be able to teach an immense amount of detailed information in a creative and engaging manner to a large number of participants who are adult learners. Additional specific duties include:
- Effectively instruct students on current teacher education issues and impart expertise required in the field demonstrating well-honed adult training techniques;
- Engage students in meaningful dialogue and build community in an online environment;
- Carefully and continually enhance course curriculum in consultation with the Department Director, Program Representative and Advisory Committee, and associated course evaluations;
- To generate, grade and evaluate student assessments and provide timely feedback.
- Master’s degree in teaching, higher education, or related field required.
- Teaching or Education Specialist Credential and English Learner Authorization in the state you currently teach or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of ten years of teaching experience required
- Online teaching experience is preferred; familiarity with Blackboard preferred
- Highly effective written communication skills with ability to engage students in an online setting
- Commitment to creating a structured student-centered learning environment
- Ability to work with a diverse group of adult learners
- Previous Sally Ride Science and college-level teaching experience preferred.
Special Conditions of Employment
As an academic department within UC San Diego, all Extension Program instructors and courses must be formally approved according to the regulations of the Academic Senate of the University of California. Eligibility to teach a course is contingent upon this formal academic approval. Once approved, teaching assignments are "by agreement". The instructor's Letter of Agreement outlines the deliverables for the course, the course schedule, and compensation terms, and is subject to department policies and procedures. UC San Diego Extension makes no commitment to hire an instructor until it has sent and received a signed instructor Letter of Agreement. Should the course section an instructor plans to teach be cancelled for any reason, the instructor agreement, including rights to compensation for future section meetings, is voided. Remuneration is for classroom hours only and does not include time spent for course preparation or other events.
Please also attach a resume, courses that you are interested in teaching, and cover letter outlining your interest, background and experience related teacher education.
Complete all relevant fields in the application, and optionally attach additional information relating to your professional and teaching backgrounds. You must answer all of the questions in the application, when applicable.
Note: We receive and review applications for instructors on an ongoing basis. If we do not currently have teaching opportunities available, we may keep your application on file and contact you if an opportunity that matches your specific skills becomes available. UC San Diego Extension operates on a quarterly schedule and course planning typically takes place six weeks to six months in advance of the start of any quarter.
UC San Diego is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a diverse workforce.